The Castoldi TurboDrive 490HC is a waterjet drive suitable for engine power up to 1324kW, depending on hull form and application. The TurboDrive 490HC is renowned for its astonishing performance and is established world wide on various commercial, military and pleasure vessels due to its excellent towing power, cavitation resistance and great efficiency at high speed.
The Castoldi company are unanimously considered to be the innovator of the waterjet propulsion system. Castoldi pioneered the development of its revolutionary system in the early 1960s using facilities which at the time were sophisticated and included measuring dynamic thrust to determine the best impeller geometry in terms of efficiency and cavitation margin. Castoldi continue to develop and improve on their design ensuring they remain at the forefront of waterjet drive performance and efficiency.
INTEGRATED HEAVY DUTY GEARBOX
The integrated heavy duty gearbox, with multi-disc clutch, has a wide range of transmission ratio options to ensure optimum match to engine power and hull form, depending on model between 17 and 25 gear ratios are available. It provides multiple advantages:
– Very fine RPM matching to absorb full engine power
– The use of a single unique stainless steel cast impeller, designed for best geometry without constraints of having to modify it for engine power.
– Integrated hydraulics and oil cooler
– Reverse gear for back flush
The Castoldi waterjet drive is very light due to the aluminium alloy construction of its principle parts. The unique integrated gearbox further reduce the propulsion package weight and size as no marine transmission is required.
The Castoldi waterjet delivers high efficiency at medium to high speeds (25 to 60 knots) due to the following:
– The axial flow impeller have been designed to achieve the highest efficiency at the best resistance to cavitation.
– The lowering of the impeller shaft, made possible by the integrated gearbox, allows the design of a flat, straight duct enabling the water stream to flow smoothly with minimum hydrodynamic losses at high speed.
Castoldi waterjet performance is proven in may international race wins from 1970 to the present day.
The whole unit is protected by hard anodising treatment, plating all light alloy components with 60 microns of ceramic aluminium oxide and three layers of special paint and cathodic protection by sacrificial anodes.
Castoldi supply all control systems for its waterjet drives from manual/hydraulic, electric/hydraulic to ACES fully electronic including multiple engine multi station joystick control, electronic steering and digital display screen.
Impeller diameter: 490mm
Maximum engine power: 1324kW (1800hp)
Dry weight: 890kg
Impeller housing: Titanium
Debris grid: Electrically operated
Integrated gearbox ratio options: 20
Clutch: Multiplate hydraulic